The Crude Oil Quality Association (COQA) is dedicated to the belief that maintaining the integrity and consistency of the refining characteristics of crude oil streams is of importance to all parties involved in crude oil activity, from production locations to the refinery. The COQA believes the commonly used industry standards of gravity and sulfur do not adequately define crude oil quality, and should be expanded to include other characteristics. The COQA is opposed to the alteration of crude oil streams, such as through the injection of processed gas liquids, without the knowledge and consent of the parties involved
To promote these beliefs, the COQA will strive to:
- Communicate our beliefs to the oil industry at large;
- Create and sponsor forums for open communications and the sharing of information and ideas to better educate the crude oil industry;
- Be pro-active in the advancement of our beliefs with all areas for the crude oil arena, including production, transportation, trading, and refining sectors;
- Improve the overall quality of crude streams through the promotion of crude quality programs on common carrier transportation systems; and
- Be closely involved with various industry associations to further promote our beliefs.
- To accomplish the above, COQA has periodic meetings which provide an open forum for discussion of related technical issues. Members of the group also attend other industry forums and occasionally make presentations in support of COQA's mission.